The Old Church was built in 1824-1826. It is a cruciform church designed in the neoclassical style by Carl Engel, and built of massive logs. In 1854, the altarpiece replaced a golden cross designed by Engel. The organ is from 1867. The seating capacity is 1200. The surrounding park is also a graveyard, victims of the plague in 1710 have been buried there. There haven't been new burials since 1829 except some victims of wars in 1918-1919. The gate to the park designed by Engel was built in 1828. The Old Church is the oldest remaining church in Helsinki, and a popular place for weddings.