Halikon kirkko

The history of Halikko Church dates back to the 14th century. The wooden church was replaced with new stone church in around the middle of the 15th century. The stone church was enlarged in 1799. It was reconstructed in 1813-1815 according to the cruciform plan by C. Bassi. The design was influenced by the neoclassical style. The current belfry was built in 1773.

in Halikko




Angelniemen kirkko

Angelniemi Church was built in 1772. It is oblong in shape, and the belfry is annexed to the church as if it was a bell-tower. The church has been restored several times in the 19th century, and in the 20th century.

in Halikko



Haminan kirkko

Hamina Church was built in 1841-1843. It was designed in the neoclassical style by Carl Engel, and built in the form of a Greek Temple.

in Hamina




Pietari-Paavalin Ortodoksinen kirkko

The Orthodox Church of St. Peter and St. Paul was completed in 1837. It was built in the architectural style of Neoclassicism with some Byzantine-style elements. The exterior was designed in the form of round-domed temple, and the interior is cruciform shaped. The belfry was built in 1862 in the Neo-Byzantine style.

in Hamina




Vehkalahden kirkko

The history of Vehkalahti Church dates back to the 14th century. The original medieval stone church was built in around the middle of the 15th century, and dedicated to St. Mary. It is the oldest building in Kymenlaakso province. The church was destroyed by fire in 1821. The reconstruction was planned by Carl Engel, and completed in 1828. The new exterior was designed in the neoclassical style, and the bell-tower was added during the reconstruction. The altarpiece is supposed to be painted in the end of 19th century. The seating capacity is 600.

in Hamina




Hangon Ortodoksinen kirkko

The Orthodox Church of Hanko was built in 1895. It was dedicated to St. Vladimir, the Grand prince of Kiev and St. Mary Magdalene.

in Hanko



Lappohjan kirkko

Lappohja Church was dedicated in 1913 as a prayer house. It was used as a movie theater in 1940-1941 when Hanko area was leased to USSR, and was rededicated as a church in 1984.

in Hanko




Taktomin kappeli

Taktom Chapel was built in 1920 as a cemetery chapel for a girl who died at the age of two. It was designed by Bertil Liljeqvist and Armas Lindgren, and has Baroque and Neo-Gothic influences. It was originally Catholic chapel, but has been rededicated, and used by Hanko Lutheran Parish since 1936.

in Hanko



Pyhan Ristin kirkko

The Church of the Holy Cross was built in the Gothic style during 1370-1420 to replace an earlier wooden church. The murals painted al secco from 1514-1516 are the largest in Finland, and they describe the events and stories in the Bible. Altogether, the church has 180 stories. There are also 40 wood sculptures, and two pulpits. One of the pulpits from 1550 is the oldest in Finland, and the other one is from the 17th century. The belfry was built in 1813 in the architectural style of Classicism.

in Hattula




Tyrvannon kirkko

The cruciform church of Tyrvanto was built in 1798-1800, and dedicated in 1803. It has been restored and remodeled several times, and the bell-tower was added later. The present appearance with Art Nouveau elements dates from the reconstruction in 1902. The pulpit dates from the 1690s, and the altarpiece was painted in 1853.

in Hattula




Heinolan kaupunkiseurakunnan kirkko

The Town Parish Church of Heinola was completed in 1811, and is octagonal in shape. The belfry was designed by Carl Engel in the neoclassical style, and was completed in 1842. The altarpiece was painted by R.W. Ekman, and the seating capacity of the church is 450.

in Heinola




Heinolan maaseurakunnan kirkko

The County Parish Church of Heinola was completed in 1755 in a cruciform shape. It has a unique roof dating from 1820, and the current appearance of the church dates from the remodeling in 1933. The belfry was designed by Carl Engel, and was built in 1834. The church has a capacity of 800-900 people.

in Heinola



Hyvinkaan vanha kirkko

Hyvinkaa Old Church was originally built as a prayer house in 1895-1896. It has been remodeled in 1916, and enlarged in 1923. The building served as the main church of Hyvinkaa until 1961, but was officially dedicated in 1978. It is popular wedding church at present.

in Hyvinkaa




Hyvinkaan Ortodoksinen kirkko

Hyvinkaa Orthodox Church was dedicated as a tsasouna in 1963, and as a church in 1996. The building was designed by Laura Jarvi-Larkas, and was enlarged in 1995.

in Hyvinkaa




Hameenkosken kirkko

Hameenkoski Church was built in 1867-1870. It was designed by Ernst Lohrmann in the late Empire style. The belfry dates from the 1820s, and was designed by Carl Engel.

in Hameenkoski



Hameenlinnan kirkko

Hameenlinna Church was built in 1795-1798 in the Classicism of the Gustavian Era, and originally styled after the temple of Pantheon in Rome. However, it was enlarged and remodeled in a cruciform shape in 1892.

in Hameenlinna


Previous        List of Churches        Next     


Photographs and images may not be used without our written permission.
Copyright © Muuka.Com, All Rights Reserved.